Creative Writing Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I haven't decided on a title yet

2 posters

Go down

I haven't decided on a title yet Empty I haven't decided on a title yet

Post by hunter_jumper16 Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 pm

Nyala ran through the woods letting the air pass through her. She knew that the woods had winding trails that always had a way to let her relax. It was her escape as life began to change. She felt the music float into her ears and her feet pound against the trail. As she felt herself become breathless she stopped at her favorite place: a fence bordering a pasture of green grass and horses running free. The herd had been around since Nyala was little. Her aunt Mallory would take her up the trail to the horses every time she had the chance. Nyala lived on the ranch where the horses belonged. But mustangs would find their way into the paddocks so finally the horses that were owned by Nyala’s family had their separate pasture and the mustangs would run free.
Nyala stared in awe at the most beautiful mustang. She was a beautiful Mare. The strong muscular legs and her pure perlino body stood out. She was the dominant Mare in the herd. Her gold flecked mane blew in the wind as she galloped around the pasture. The Mare saw Nyala and pranced over to her. Nyala was in the habit of giving the Mare a treat every time she came. The Mare nuzzled her shoulder looking for a treat. Nyala put her hand in her pocket and pulled out a broken up carrot. The Mare nuzzled her hand then grabbed the treat with her lips. As the Mare ate her treat she looked Nyala in the eyes. Nyala returned the look. The Mare turned and pranced off.
Nyala watched for five minutes then saw the mare get kicked by another mustang. As the mustang fell to the ground she received another kick. The kick was followed by a bite. Nyala did the most dangerous thing possible. The other mustang was apparently a rogue mustang and was new to the herd. Nyala jumped the fence and ran towards the Mare. Nyala put herself between the two mustangs. She watched the other mustang back down as she saw Nyala. The other mustang was clearly in distress as well. Blood poured from the shoulder. Nyala pulled out her cell phone and took out her head phones. She dialed the number for the ranch.
“Hello?” a masculine voice answered.
“Uncle Pete, there was a mustang fight and both of them have multiple puncture wounds.” Nyala reported.
“Let me guess, one of them is your Mare.”
“Yes can you please come out here and help?” Nyala asked nicely.
“I will be out there soon.”
The line went dead and Nyala kept both of the horses calm as both of them lie on the ground. Nyala took off her shirt; she was glad she put on her black sports bra this morning. She ripped the shirt and applied pressure with the shirt to both of the Mare’s wounds and the other mustangs’ wounds. She waited for her Uncle Pete to come with a stable hand. She heard the sound of hoof beats and she saw her Uncle Pete and the stable hand. They quickly dismounted and brought over the first aid kit slowly.
When the mare began to breathe heavily, Nyala soothed her and did the same with the other Mustang. She took the first aid kit and quickly took away the ripped up shirt thankful that most of the bleeding had stopped to a very slow drain. Nyala quickly put gauze with saline solution around the wound. Nyala was thankful that the wounds were on the legs and neck. Nyala wrapped the saline solution gauze in vet wrap. She repeated the drill with the neck and was cautious about putting the vet wrap around the Mares neck. Nyala put a rope halter over the Mares head. She quickly moved to the other mustang, as the stable hand and Uncle Pete got the Mare steadily to her feet. The Stable hand moved her around as Nyala got the other mustang treated. She slipped a rope halter over the geldings head.
Nyala brought the other mustang to his feet. Nyala got a good look at the other mustang; his cremello color was abnormal in mustangs. His cream body had an almost white mane and tail. Nyala looked into his rust colored eyes and patted his star. Nyala looked at his sides and saw marks that could only be made by spurs. He had rain rot and saddle sores. Nyala didn’t doubt that he was either neglected or abandoned. She looked over at the Mare. She was also either neglected or abandoned because she has scars from spurs. Nyala brought the gelding over to where the Stable hand and Uncle Pete were.
“I think they need to come back with us. They are both in condition where they need human help again.” Nyala proposed.
“Why do you say that?” Uncle Pete asked.
“The Mare has scars from spurs and the gelding has rain rot, saddle sores and cuts from spurs. They were once owned by humans. They aren’t in the condition to be with this herd. They need to come back to the ranch.” Nyala explained. Uncle Pete looked at the Stable hand.
“The way I see it is that she’s right.” The Stable hand said.
“Alright they come back with us. But you take care of them,” Uncle Pete said. He pointed to the stable hand “Jace helps.”
“Okay.” Nyala said with a smile. Jace looks at Uncle Pete with a look of doubt.
Nyala walked the Mare to the broken board and had her gently step over it. Jace did the same with the gelding. Jace and Nyala reached the trail through the woods and they met up with Uncle Pete. Jace mounted the horse he arrived on and led the Gelding. Nyala followed the two mounted boys with the Mare. What seemed like hours was only 15 minutes when they arrived back at the ranch. They walked the horses to their stalls. The mare remained calm and quiet but he gelding reared and paced. He began to freak out in his stall. Nyala noticed his straggled appearance; she went into the stall and used her hand as a brush. The gelding calmed and flicked his head up and down as if to nod. Nyala got the gelding calm and then had Jace go get the aloe cream and the rain rot spray. Nyala applied the aloe cream to the saddle sores and to the cuts made by spurs. She put the rain rot spray on the patches of rain rot.
Jace put hay in his stall and put hay in the mare’s stall. Nyala watched Jace stand in the stall with the gelding with a dandy brush; he brushed the dirt away from the cremello coat. Nyala did the same with her dandy brush to the Mare. Nyala gave the horses water in their water buckets. Jace watched her every move with his icy blue eyes.
“She likes you.” Jace said to Nyala.
“How would you know?” Nyala said defensively.
“She is calm and mellow, relaxed with you around. She counts on you.”
“Oh.” Nyala replied.
She walked down the barn isle way. She had no other response for Jace. She walked into her white farm house. She walked through the kitchen where the cook was cooking breakfast. Nyala sat at the counter stools. The cook, Annabeth, put a plate in front of her. She piled three pancakes and bacon onto her plate and place the maple syrup and butter nearby. Annabeth put a bowl of fruit salad next to Nyala’s plate.
“I heard we have two new horses. A mare and a gelding.” Annabeth stated curiously.
“Yes we do,” Nyala said. “Unfortunately that means I need help from Jace.”
“He just came last week, stop being so judgmental.” Annabeth chaises.
“He watches me like a hawk. He’s so quiet.”
“He enjoys your work. He likes how you train the horses at such a young age.” Annabeth said.
“I’m sixteen. I’ve been training horses since I was ten. How is that interesting?”
“You use different techniques than what he’s used to.”
“I train reiners and jumpers. Right now I’m putting the Mare as a Jumper and the gelding as a Reiner.”
“Why?”
“Because the mare has the bright English gait and the gelding has the western feel.”
“Okay, are you training the gelding for Jace?” Annabeth asked.
“Maybe, he doesn’t have his own horse and all the other stable hands do.”
“Wow you seem to have warmed up to him.”
“I’m doing this out of kindness so maybe he’ll leave me alone.”
“Okay then.”
“Good breakfast by the way.”
“Thank you. Now hurry up and get changed.”
“Why?”
“You have to go with your uncle to test ride horses at Broken Back Ranch.”
“Oh right I forgot. Thank you, Annabeth!”
Nyala hopped off the stool and darted up to her room. She quickly took her shower and threw on a pair of jeans, a green v-neck tee, and her paddock boots and half chaps. She blow dried her hair and pulled it up into a pony tail. Her curls bounced in the pony tail. She ran down stairs and out to the truck where her uncle was waiting for her. Her uncle was waiting patiently as Nyala buckled her seat belt.
“Forget?” Uncle Pete asked.
“Yes, I’m sorry.” Nyala said.
“Don’t worry. I arranged it so you ride the Jumpers and Jace will ride the reiners.”
“Jace?”
“He’s coming with us.”
“Why?”
“Because he’s going to need the experience.”
“Peachy.”
Jace jumped into the back of the truck and Nyala was frankly quite agitated with her Uncle. Nyala turned on her iPod and began to listen to her music. She pushed Jace out of her mind and began to think of the stable hand at Broken Back. After pondering him for fifteen minutes, she began to compare Broken Back’s stable hand and Jace. After comparing they seemed pretty much alike. Jace rode reiners; Jace had more prominent blue eyes; Jace was quieter; Jace had brown curls that were constantly in his face. Jace had a more muscular body, a deep tan from working all summer. But that didn’t give Nyala really a chance to make any judgments. But he was also the reason she got to keep the horses at Whisper’s Willow Ranch. Nyala realize she was being to judgmental towards him. She took a deep breath before asking her uncle about Jace.
“Uncle?” Nyala asked looking for his attention.
“Yes, Nyala?” Uncle Pete answered.
“What is the deal with Jace? Out of nowhere he pops up at the beginning of summer.”
“He,” Uncle Pete began. “Has a history. He used to train for the world class reiner, J J Star.”
“Nuh uh.” Nyala said out of disbelief. “Then what is he doing here?”
“he needed another place to work. He came up, worked a little, rode the horses, and he just wanted food in lodging in return for his work. He likes you, by the way. He always asks about you.”
“Jace. The guy who is sitting in the back of the car.” Nyala said shocked.
“J J was moving to Canada, her home country, and Jace didn’t want to go with her.”
“Makes sense, I wouldn’t want to leave America either. The horses are too beautiful here.”
“Actually he stayed because he saw you ride at a Jumper/reiner show.”
“I, Nyala Breault, inspired him to stay?”
“He knows you love horses, knew you trained them. He wanted to learn more about you.”
“Wonderful.” Nyala suddenly felt guilty for being so judgmental. She didn’t know anything about him and he was a real sweetheart. “Uncle, I was really mean to him. Is it okay if I rebreak the gelding for him?”
“Depend if the gelding wants to be broken.” Uncle Pete replied with a smile.
The trio arrived at the Ranch, with hopes of finding a good horse. Nyala bent over and put her helmet on her head tucking in her pony tail. She looked up and she saw Jace leaning against the truck. He wore carhart jeans a blue and green plaid shirt with the cuffs rolled up. The front was tucked in revealing a gold belt buckle. His cowboy boots poked out from underneath the jeans. His hair was cut into a short cut. You couldn’t tell he had curls. He took off his plaid shirt and wore his white crew neck shirt. He had his black cowboy had on. Figures, Nyala thought. Here comes Madeline. A girl with long straight blond hair wearing her riding breeches, Ariat show boots, and a collared short sleeved navy shirt walked toward the trio.
“Hey, there,” Madeline said. “I hear that you are riding horses.”
“Nyala is riding the Jumpers, and Jace the reiners.” Uncle Pete said. Madeline checked out Jace, then looked at Nyala.
“You can jump?” Madeline said snottily.
“Always, I mean if I jump I can probably get into the back of the truck.” Nyala said with a snide smile. Jace snickered. Madeline looked at him and walked over.
“You’re Jace?” Madeline said, flirting a little.
“Yes,” Jace said coolly. “Yes, I am.”
“You should watch me ride sometime.” Madeline said.
“I would but I’m busy with my reining.”
“I ride reiners.” Madeline said. “Nyala didn’t tell you? She fell off her reiner and got crushed. So I took her place at nationals. I won.”
“You stoop low, Madeline.” Nyala said. “Especially since you were an Alternate.”
“No, I qualified, I just thought I would give you a chance. But your training just sucks.” Madeline stepped closer to Nyala. “I always win.”
“I think I’m ready to ride.” Nyala said. She walked around Madeline.
Nyala walked towards the barn and to Madeline’s father, the owner of Broken Back. He handed her the reins to a thoroughbred. Nyala walked out into the ring. She walked over to the mounting block and mounted the horse. She walked around for a bit. Madeline, Jace, Uncle Pete and Madeline’s father, Brian, watched Nyala. She nudged the Thoroughbred into a trot. The Thoroughbred had a calm mellow trot, which Nyala could sit to easily. She slowed to a walk and switched directions she performed the same pattern as she did in the opposite direction.
Once she was assured the horse was warmed up she turned into the canter and the thoroughbred was still calm as she switched directions at the canter. The thoroughbred did the flying lead changes and she was pretty confident his jumping would be quicker and excited. She turned into a warm up cavaletti. The horse jumped it higher than it should. She turned to a 2 foot 6 inch jump. The horse jumped it perfectly. She repeated the pattern in the opposite direction. She trotted over to the fence where everyone stood.
“Very calm, steady thoroughbred; lead changes are excellent, and he is a very good jumper.”
“Very nice,” Uncle Pete said. “Do you want him?”
“As amazing as he is, I don’t. I don’t have a lot to work with and on. I would prefer a horse that has the basics down but needs to have more training.”
“Do you want to test out the Lusitano we have? she only knows walk, trot, canter and a cross rail jump.” Brian asked.
“Sure, she seems like something I could work with.” Nyala dismounted the thoroughbred. She ran up the stirrups. She took the Thoroughbred to his stall and Brian brought out a palomino Lusitano. She seemed alive and upbeat.
Nyala entered the riding ring and mounted the Lusitano. She walked the Lusitano around and performed the same pattern as she did with the Thoroughbred. The Lusitano loosened up after a few laps. When Nyala turned the Lusitano into a cross rail the Lusitano pricked her ears forward. Nyala was surprised as the Lusitano jumped the cross rail with no issues. The Lusitano picked up the correct lead and Nyala led her into the 2 foot 6 inch jump. The Lusitano pricked her ears forward and jumped she performed nicely jumping the jump much higher than she should have.
“Can you guys clear the jump on the left side, I want to try something with her.” Nyala said. The Lusitano had the movement to be a reiner.
Nyala realized that this horse must’ve been broken before, seeing she didn’t match the description that Brian gave. She was curious, if the Lusitano can do reinsmenship she would probably get along with the Mare. As everyone, except for Madeline, moved the jump, Nyala moved around the Lusitano a little bit to get a feel for her gallop. Once the jump was moved, Nyala galloped her and pulled back on the reins a bit and the Lusitano slid to a stop. Just as I thought. Nyala said.
“I have a question for you.” Nyala addressed brian.
“Yes?”
“Where did you get Lusi?” Nyala said.
“Lusi?” Brian asked.
“We had a Lusitano Mare named Lusi. She ran off and I heard you had a Lusitano.”
“She showed up in my paddocks. She looked rigid so I brought her in fed her, bathed her, and got her cleaned up and got her to a bearable weight.”
“Uncle, we found Lusi.”
“How did your mare get into my paddock?” Brian asked.
“Lusi was my aunts horse. My aunt was on a trail bare back riding and had on only a halter and lead rope on the mare. Lusi freaked out and threw off my aunt. Lusi was a sweet heart but was attacked by a lion. My aunt is still in coma from the accident. Luckily I followed her with my Clydesdale and found her but couldn’t find Lusi. Lusi must’ve been free for atleast 8 months. I’m surprised she even let you put a saddle on her.”
“We only had her for a few months. It was a struggle but Ben got on her and worked her to do walk, trot, canter and cross rails.”
“Give Ben my thanks.”
“Can do, do you want your Mare back?”
“If you want to give her back; I am willing to stop by with her so you guys can see her.”
“That would be great, Nyala.” Brian said “We will miss her.”
“Okay, thank you Brian. You’ve been kind to her.”
“Anytime.”
“Madeline, did you try riding Lusi?” Nyala asked.
“No, why would I ride an ugly mare like that?” Madeline said rudely.
“Look, I asked because it looked like she had spurs dug into her. Since I know that you like to dig spurs into your horses.”
Nyala rode off out of the ring. She untacked the mare and asked her uncle to get the spare western tack and her cowboy hat. Nyala tacked up Lusi in western tack and mounted. Nyala took off her helmet and took out her pony tail. She put her hair into two braids. Nyala put on her hat and handed her uncle her helmet. Nyala rode to the riding ring - which was cleared off – to watch Jace ride. She sat on Lusi and watched him stop, roll back, spin, do flying lead changes and everything.
Finally, Jace set his eyes on a copper Quarter horse that was only 5 years old. Almost fully broken the Stud was talented. He was also a trail horse. Jace and Nyala bid their goodbyes and Uncle Pete stayed to talk prices about the Stud. Jace and Nyala took a trail back home. They talked about each other’s riding along the way. Jace was a quiet speaker but wasn’t afraid to speak his mind. Nyala boldly spoke back. When they finally put the debate about their riding to an end, they talked about the mustangs.
They continued to talk until they hit a fork in the road. They stopped talking as soon as they heard trees falling right behind them. The horses spooked and wanted to run. Nyala and Jace backed up. A bulldozer was behind the patch of trees. The driver stepped out and walked over to the horses.
“I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there.” He said to Jace and Nyala.
“Can you please be more careful. If we didn’t know what to do we could’ve been badly hurt.” Nyala said.
“I’m sorry. The forests are so dense. I apologize. I’ll be more careful.” The guy said.
“Thank you.” Jace replied.
Jace and Nyala trotted off. They took the trail on the right and began to talk until they reached a dirt road that led to the Ranch.
“I bet I can get there before you.” Jace said.
“Oh really? Well miss Lusi is a champion in barrel racing.” Nyala said.
“Well prove it. If you win, I’ll pout secretively about my defeat. But if I win, you owe me a night for just me and you.” Jace said.
“You’re on.” Nyala said.
“Okay, one, two, three, GO!”
Jace and Nyala galloped down the road. They saw Uncle Pete’s truck and galloped past. Nyala clicked and kissed to Lusi urging her to go faster. Jace began to fall back until he gave the stud a kick and he bolted in front of Nyala and Lusi. When Nyala reached the barn, Jace was already dismounting. Nyala parked Lusi out side the barn and untacked her and led her to her old stall. She put Lusi in her stall while she put away her tack. Jace walked over and smiled.
“So, does it matter when I make the date?” Jace asked.
“As long as I’m not busy, It doesn’t matter.” Nyala said.
“Okay,” Jace said and he walked away.
Nyala smiled and took Lusi out of her stall to hose her off.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Just let me know what you think and if you have any title ideas that would be awesome bounce so please let me know drunken
hunter_jumper16
hunter_jumper16
Civilian
Civilian

Female Location : Croydon

Back to top Go down

I haven't decided on a title yet Empty Re: I haven't decided on a title yet

Post by Zach S Thu Nov 25, 2010 10:53 am

Hmm Im not so good at titles and i cant think of one at the moment....but i do really think its a great story so far ^^
Zach S
Zach S
Civilian
Civilian

Male Posts : 21

Back to top Go down

I haven't decided on a title yet Empty Re: I haven't decided on a title yet

Post by hunter_jumper16 Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:03 pm

Thanks i'll try to add on more. Im more of a horse lover so. haha
hunter_jumper16
hunter_jumper16
Civilian